Skip to main content

A year since last


A year has passed since we started questioning faith; pointed fingers at others while burning our hands in candle light vigils. For sensationalists that marks another day among the many other martyr days they celebrate. This one is the most recent…and definitely not the last. Wonder how many got amused at their emotional outpour one year back and the complete lack of worthlessness a year later. I wonder how many swore at ‘them’ with the support of the stranger standing alongside. One year later I’m not sure they recognize each other. We blamed everyone, our neighbors across the border and our people inside, the state that governs and the media that reports-everyone. We left ourselves out of the equation.

The collective outrage fuelled by the over emotive residents of a city is slowly burning out to a selfish reality- a fear of surrendering hope.

Amidst crass commercialization, a recession hit, inflation prone, powerless, weather beaten, misgoverned, corrupt, maoist infected, terrorist struck, vulnerable democracy moves ahead stepping past yet another memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is your leader?

Proud of the fact that I managed to stay away from the political discussions on social media so far. Though I have to concede that it was difficult.  I've never been a blind supporter or hater of any political campaigns. Call me old fashioned but I still believe that political practitioners need to be social servants first and elections are a way to empower them to do their bit for the society/ nation. Needless to say, I've lost this battle of beliefs long time back. More dismaying is the fact that politics and religion are now irreversibly entwined. I have seen WhatsApp discussions in my school group turning to "now we know the Hindus will only vote for BJP".  Today my wife had another conversation with a neighbour which started off with "you must be very happy that BJP has won, right?" What troubles me is that my neighbours and friends have now started seeing me as 'them'. While I could see many anti-BJP Hindus, I'm not sure...

It just happens

You are reading this article. That is coincidence. No. This one is not crappy… There is this small theory about life that I have assimilated after a lot of introspection over the past, maybe 5-6 years. I do not know whether I can lay claim to this because I have sometimes seen similarities in what others feel about life. So here goes, I call it the THEORY OF CO-INCIDENCE . To start with, let me present some situations for you… Think of the person who you met last. Or better, one who you spoke to last… Just think back and try to gather when you met him / her for the first time. (to be effective don’t think of your parents or siblings…at least not yet) Could you think back a few minutes before that, and then start constructing a ‘what-if’ situation if in case you haven’t met him/her. If you are going around with someone, can you think of a situation wherein you haven’t met him/her? Can you think of a situation where you missed the train that you actually got into? Ima...

Taking the bite off 2018

The new Kochi airport looks plush - very plush, given the socialist Malayali's restraint to be self effacing when it comes to showing opulence. (Would like to clarify that this reference to plushness is only relative to other airports in Kerala) But with a delayed flight, it also gave the perfect setting for the adage "the more things change, the more they remain the same." Earlier, like a confused desi I had arrived at the domestic departure gate only to be told that my flight to Mumbai will take off from the international terminal. I left the domestic terminal entrance wondering whether this was the airport administration's ploy of showing off their new premises. The delay added more conspiracy to my theory. The extended airport tour, the delay and the unexpected opulence started taking the shine off the mallu dust settling on me, although it was a very short trip to my home state. The dust was mostly collected off the road during the 20 odd hours that ...